Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 1 - Washington D.C. (January 17, 2009)

My first day in Washington was relatively hectic. It consisted of first arriving in Washington and then heading to the hotel to check in. There was a flight delay in Toronto, due to extreme security restrictions, which meant I checked in to the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel much later than expected.

That evening when I arrived at the hotel I had the opportunity to attend a session called Congressional Youth Leadership Council (CYLC) Connections: Alumni & Friend Finder, where I was able to find past friends and colleagues I had met on a previous conference (the Global Youth Leadership Conference - GYLC) in Vienna. I did not manage to find anyone I knew from GYLC due to the sheer volume of people - 5000.

I had met several people on the plane to Washington who were attending the conference and had experienced the same flight issues as I had. Since we landed late we missed the buffet dinner at the hotel and decided to go to this nice Italian restaurant called Trattoria Italiana.

Dinner was great and provided an opportunity to bond and meet some really neat people. My evening ended at around 11pm and I decided to call it a night because I knew I had several exciting but hectic days ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment